Scholars at academic institutions are eligible to apply for research grants. Researchers focusing on the political, social, economic, or cultural development of Taiwan over the past few decades are especially encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to collaborative projects involving institutions in Taiwan. Research grants are usually given for no more than three years and should not exceed US$120,000 for a three-year period. Grant funds may not be used to pay salaries to directors or co-directors, or to cover teaching relief.
Research Grants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The long-term impact of the proposed project.
- The importance of the proposed project in its field.
- Originality, feasibility and methodology.
- Collaboration with other scholars.
All applications must include the following items, in the order listed below:
- Project abstracts (in Chinese and English).
- A detailed itemized budget (If this sum is to be supplemented by matching funds, please include this information in the budget).
- A description of the proposed project of no more than 7 pages in length.
- Curriculum vitae of the project director and all co-directors, including lists of publications over the last five years that are related to the proposed project.
- Letters of support from the applicant(s) and participating institution(s).
- The Foundation's grants provide support for research on Chinese Studies in the humanities and social sciences.
- Funding is not available for university administrative expenses (including overhead or endowments) or the purchase of equipment.
- Funds for Research Grants may not be used to cover publication costs. Grantees anticipating the need for additional funding to cover such costs are welcome to apply for one of the Foundationˇ¦s Publication Subsidies grants.
- Project directors may not submit more than one application. Please inform the Foundation if applying for financial assistance from other organizations at the same time. If a project director receives aid from another source after the Foundation has already decided to support the project, please inform the Foundation within 7 days after being informed by the alternate funding organization.
- Foundation funds can only be transferred to and managed by institutional accounts. Letters of support from the applicant's institution must express the institution's willingness to comply with these procedures.
- The Foundation does not supply funding for salaries of scholars involved in grant projects, or to cover teaching relief. Exceptions can be made for research assistants and technical staff.
- Applicants who already hold a two-year research grant are not eligible to apply for a senior scholar or postdoctoral grant that would run concurrently with that grant.
- The Foundation encourages applications with matching funds from other sources.
- When preparing itemized budgets, please use US dollars as the unit of currency.
- The Foundation reserves the right to post project abstracts and reports on its websites.
Applications must be submitted to our online application database. E-mail and paper applications will not be accepted. Applications may be submitted every year from August 1 (to start the application process, please click here).
- The application period for Research Grants is from August 1 to October 15. Applications after October 15 will not be accepted.
- A list of grant recipients will be announced in early June of the year following the October deadline.
- For applications which do not receive funding, the Foundation will inform the institutions and project directors within seven days after the results are made public. For applications that do receive support, the Foundation will inform the institutions and project directors as quickly as possible in order to arrange for contracts to be signed.
- The Foundation does not provide a written critique for unsuccessful applications.
Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange
13F 65 Tun Hua South Rd., Sec. 2
Taipei, Taiwan 106 ROC
Tel: +886-2-2704-5333 ext. 19